ULW x SEGi
Presenting SEGi University, which sits at the heart of Petaling Jaya, Kota Damansara. As the 12th dental school to be officially accredited, SEGi may be one of the youngest but its cumulative achievements in many aspects made it a force to be reckoned even among other dental schools. As James Heywood mentioned, ‘Rome was not built in one day’, SEGi’s dental faculty itself is also the same. With that, the following 6 facts will offer you a glimpse on the road at which their pioneers had taken to build this dental school as what it is today.
1. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) programme of SEGi University was commenced in September 2011 with 24 students under our founding Dean, Datuk Professor Dr Fawzia Binti Dato’ Abdullah.
2. The BDS (SEGi) programme received full accreditation status from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) on 2 June 2016. The BDS (SEGi) is now listed under Section 2(1) for ‘Registrable Qualifications’ under the Dental Act 1971.
3. The first batch of 24 dental graduands graduated in August 2016 and are now members of SEGi Dental Alumni.
4. The Faculty of Dentistry, SEGi University is one of the dental schools under the Colgate-Palmolive (M) Sdn Bhd Entrepreneurial School program in which students are encouraged to develop entrepreneurial skills by educating patients on, and promoting use of, appropriate oral hygiene aids.
5. The SEGi Oral Health Centre began as a small dental clinic with its pioneer Dental Surgery Assistant (DSA) Certificate program. The Centre has evolved to its current status of 58 chairs incorporating a large Simulation Lab and 2 Prosthetic Labs.
6. The current Dean, Assoc Prof Datuk Dr Khairiyah Abd Muttalib, formerly held the positions of Principal Director for Oral Health, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Registrar of the Malaysian Dental Council and Chairman of the Joint Technical Committee on Accreditation of Dental Programmes.